Tuesday, April 29, 2014

5k Time Trial #1

Every third week or so, I've added 5k time trials to my schedule.  I love a 5k because its an good distance to push yourself.  Recovery time is very, very short, so I can do one without messing up my training schedule.

24:36 was my final time.  7:55 average pace.  I am happy with it.  It is a 36 second improvement  over my last time trial a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately I let myself slow too much between 2 and 2.5 miles. I was aiming for negative splits, but that didn't happen.  7:51, 7:52. 8:00, and :52 (7:33 pace) for the .1.

I like the first two numbers, I kept a pretty even pace, but I let myself go that third mile.  At least I managed to kick it in to the finish.  I expected to be fighting burning in my legs, but actually it was burning in my lungs that made mile 3 a killer.  I rarely start breathing hard--even during my track workouts.  I guess that means I need to push it harder more often.  I don't know.  How does one make their breathing more efficient?

My next goal is a 23:59 5k.  It will be extra hard to make with the rising temps, but I think I can do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment