Thursday, April 17, 2014

Review New Balance 5000


A few weeks ago I picked up these babies for $50 on Amazon (regularly about $100).   It seemed like a good deal so I went for it.

These shoes are spike-less flats.  The New Balance website says these shoes are great for track and road racing up to 10K.

I wore them to the track for the first time today.  They seemed a little narrow, and I already have average to narrow width feet, but I figured that was because I wasn't used to tighter fitting shoes.  My second thought was these were nothing like the flats I wore in high school.  Two decades does change things a bit.

I could really feel the traction and I liked it.  I ran a total of 5 miles, including 800m repeats.  The ride was smooth and comfortable.  My last 800 felt just as good on my feet as my first.  I did have a bit of a hotspot on the bottom of my big toe that I noticed when I got home, but no blister.

Overall, I found these to be great shoes.  The uppers are thin and the laces seem thin, but I suppose that all saves on weight.  The soles are quite comfortable and felt surprisingly soft for how thing and light they are.  Good shoes for their purpose.  While I don't intend to buy new racing flats, I'm tempted to now so I can have something to compare these to.  Don't tell my husband.  He won't like that I've found a new thing to spend our money on! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment